St James Methodist Church, Southampton
The original building at St James Road Methodist Church in Shirley, Southampton was constructed in 1928 and has been a hub for worship and the local community.
CPL Chartered Architects were appointed by St James to prepare a Feasibility Option Study in July 2015 to consider design options for developing their existing building to meet their vision and missional needs for the twenty first century.
Following the completion of our Option Study process, CPL Chartered Architects agreed a design with the church team and obtained planning approval to provide an enhanced glazed Entrance Foyer and Café, internal remodelling and refurbishment including enhanced Pre-School facilities, a new lift and accessible toilets and a new two storey extension to provide a new Youth Centre and residential accommodation, with enhanced parking and secure play area externally.
The project was constructed in three sections, including (1) Enhancements to the Pre-School Facilities, including secure play area, (2) Extension of the Entrance Foyer and Café Link, with associated access, meeting room and toilet accommodation and (3) New lift, accessible toilets and remodelling of first floor accommodation to meet the church’s briefing requirements.
The works were completed in September 2020 and were opened by the Mayor of Southampton.